Name: Rachel Fletcher
Title: Director of Human Resources
Company: Colliers International – Atlanta Realty, LLC
1. How many years have you been working in HR? 4
2. Favorite thing about working in HR? There are many things! The main two I equally enjoy are solving problems and the diversity each day.
3. Best piece of advice you ever received about a career in HR? HR is about dual focus, the employee and the business.
4. Most important thing on your desk? My computer…I receive a lot of emails!!
5. If you weren’t in HR, what would you do? Pursue a career in real estate or law.
6. Favorite office supply? Post-it Notes.
7. Favorite interview question to ask potential hires? What circumstance brings you here today?
8. One inexpensive, effective way you’ve utilized to improve employee morale? Whenever possible, I like to give employees flexibility with work schedules. Some need to work 8 to 5 or 7 to 4. Even if they don’t take you up on it, employees are more satisfied knowing the flexibility is there.
9. Best tip for dealing with an angry employee? Validate their concerns by listening. Don’t minimize or dismiss their feelings and don’t heighten their concerns by giving your opinion. Stay neutral, but show concern. At the end of the conversation, always paraphrase back to clarify your understanding.
10. Favorite inspirational quote that gets you through your day? You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it!